Robocenter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robocenter

The world's greatest Custom Robo community!

HomeRegisterLatest imagesLog in

I suck.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime23/9/2011, 08:13

I can't even beat story mode.

Someone please, help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

v_v
Back to top Go down
Mega_Rat

Mega_Rat

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime23/9/2011, 10:38

Hey, guessing you're new here!

Anyways, we can help you out if you post some sets you use.

Also make sure you're using all of your weapons regularly, the gun is nothing without bombs or pods to assist it!

I'm sure once you give us more info we'll gladly help. :3
Back to top Go down
Tempo613
Admin
Tempo613

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime23/9/2011, 16:06

Welcome to the Robocenter! I'm Tempo, the site creator. It's nice to see someone new posting.

Erase the idea that the Gun is the "main weapon" from your mind. It'll ruin you, trust me. Spam the Bomb and Pod like nuts. Try to shoot the Bomb where you think your foe may be going, and the same thing goes for stationary Pods (Satellite, Spider) and use direct-fire Pods (Wall, Wave) as a DEFENSE, not an offense, until you're more skilled. Use the Gun as a weapon of opportunity, firing when your opponent is vulnerable after a hard landing, shooting his/her gun at you, getting stunned, etc..

That's some of the first few things you'll have to learn. This advice applies to rookies, though. Pros like Rug and Sylar go by a different set of rules.

Try this set using the tactics I have just shown you:

Seal Kid
3-Way Gun
Borrow Bomb D
Satellite Pod H
High Jump Legs

Try to use it at mid-range, avoiding close quarters until you're used to fighting with it. Stay aerial.

If you don't have or can't get these parts yet, let us know what you have and have access to so that we may help you.
Back to top Go down
http://colorslive.com/author?id=76918
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime24/9/2011, 19:06

'Ello, m'name's Sylar! 'Ow're ye, lad?!

Okay, so...story mode. Yeah, I had problems with it too. The real problem is they never really teach you basic tactics, like combos or bomb/pod use, so once they decide they want you to do combos...oh yeah, we never even taught you how to do combos!

Basically, a combo is stringing attacks together. The reason multiple weapon combos are so great has to with smooth flow. (Yeah, I'm supposed to be doing a guide on that, aren't I?)

Smooth flow is using all the reload times on different weapons to create a nearly constant barrage of fire.

For example, if you were using the full basic, if you just fire the gun, you have reload to deal with. But if you were to fire off both pods first, and then slide shot the gun behind a wall, you would be using smooth flow.

To use a more complex example, consider this set:

Luna
Meteor Storm Gun
Crescent Bomb C
Umbrella Pod
Feather Legs

The trick is to use the gun to raise the enemy into the pod, but if you fire the gun and then the pod (which is how it seems it should work) the pod won't hit; you have to fire the pod first, then use the gun to raise them up.

While the gun isn't the main weapon, it is typically one of the most integral parts of set, because of the numerous ranges and effects they have, as opposed to bombs that mostly just cover area, and pods that mostly provide immediate pressure or defense.

Take the Needle Gun and Catch Gun for example. Both have the same basic effect (bring the enemy closer) but they differ on exactly how to do that, and also the hit it brings to the enemy's endurance, and the amount of damage it does.

While some bombs and pods can be used to do the same thing as the Needle Gun or Catch Gun (such as Straight Bomb T or Caboose T) but they're much harder to use easily and directly in a combo, which is why, for the most part, guns are used to start a combo, simply because it's easier to pressure with bombs and pods, hit with a gun, and then use bombs and pods to deliver the brunt of the attack.

While some bombs differ from the normal use (such as Direct Bomb, Straight Bombs, Submarine Bombs and Crescent Bombs, to a certain extent) most bombs are used to cover area; to force the enemy into the spot you want. Doing that is really pretty simple, even though it sounds difficult.

Something that separates a good commander from a great one is target aquisition; moving the reticle fast enough to 'chase' the enemy with it. Imagine it being like the crosshairs in a gunship, and the gunner is trying to hit a bomber flying by. Notice how they aim in front of the plane, because the bullets can't move as fast as the plane from the distance they're at.

If you've ever gone skeet shooting, that applies too. Get on the same line as your target, and then follow them out before firing.

One thing worth noting about bombs is the reticles: they all start at a specific place. They don't all start on top of the target; some start a few feet in front, some halfway between you and the target. Knowing this distance is what allows you to perform combos quickly and easily; the more you think about it, and try to figure distances and such, the sloppier your attack is going to be. Don't get discourage early on, because knowing where a reticle starts is something that gets drilled in as you play.

Pods are actually some of the most diverse weapons in the game. You have Diving, Jumping, Float F and Sky Wave that home in from the air; Satellites, Spiders and Beasts that stay stationary until the opponent come near, and then you have pods like Wall, Wave, Double Wave and Umbrella, that are more for specialized commanders, because of the diverse ways they can be used.

One of the things that needs stressing is trial and error; if you come up with an idea for a set, go try it out. If it doesn't work quite right, swap out a part, or come ask us which part would be best.

The best I've found to start using bombs and pods is to start with the basic set (use Ground Legs to cut the landing lag if you want) and try using bombs and pods on training. The training bot won't be firing at you, so you can just attempt to hit with the bombs and pods.

After you've got a little more comfortable with them, try creating a set based around every part's use, and then tweak it until you have en effective set, that you can use well.

I believe I have a guide for newbs around here somewhere, that has the basics in a more 'tl;dr' version. Of course, it might be just as long as this ridiculous post.
Back to top Go down
http://customrobo.wikia.com
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 02:55

Sorry I didn't reply. My dad doesn't have internet, but I won't get to visit him again until November.

Anyways, I finally beat Story Mode (I think)! I started using this set, and somehow got way better.

Crazy Baboon
Knuckle Gun
Crescent Bomb K
Twin Flank Pod G
Stabilizer Legs

EDIT: My previous set:

Shadow
Afterburner Gun
Titan Bomb
Spider Pod
Quick Jump Legs

I used to play with the mindset "They can't take the sky from me."

And Sylar, you're not going to eat my brain, are you?
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 05:09

I used to play with the mindset "They can't take the sky from me."

Burn the land and boil the sea...

You can't take the sky from me...

And Sylar, you're not going to eat my brain, are you?

It depends. Are you special?
Back to top Go down
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 05:49

I don't have any powers. Nope. None at all.

Where's the Underground?

Also, what do you think of my current set?
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:06

Alnylthyria wrote:
I don't have any powers. Nope. None at all.

Where's the Underground?

Also, what do you think of my current set?

Do not lie to me, sir.

It's in some guy's house under his bed. I harbor, I believe.

Don't take this the wrong way...but it's not so great. Stabilizer Legs are for robos moving at high speeds, that need to be able to turn on a dime. A Metal Grappler moves slow enough you don't need to enhance turning ability. Most of the time, the only legs a Metal Grappler needs are Ground Legs.

Knuckle Gun is amazing. I use an X-Ray+Knuckle set, Rug uses a Swift+Knuckle, and Apollo+Knuckle and a Tricerion+Knuckle. The problem is it's really hard to get good with, because advanced players can play keep away better than you can approach. You can get good with it early on, but expect a lot of losses while training it.

Crescent Bomb K is a Crescent Bomb, and thus good, but it's the worst of them because of it's rather useless blast type. I can't think of any situation I'd rather down my enemy rather than keep them up so they don't get the damage buffer. I suppose if you're making a defensive set it might be worth a shot, but I think Titan would be a better choice.

Flank Pods are just dumb. Because the don't flank the enemy; they flank you. I really don't see the point of them, except maybe for close range flanking enemies. But in that case, you could just pop the Wall or Wave pod on the set and make it more effective right off.

Crazy Baboon is fine, but more difficult to use. I used it on my Acro Pod+Bubble Gun set for the high endurance, but his charge is hard to use. Albeit, not as hard as Rock Hound's, but still difficult.

Now, to go by the basic idea you set out, I would recommend you work with something along these lines:

~Metal Ape
~Needle Gun (Not anything like Knuckle, but a good solid gun for almost any use. Swap it out if want.)
~Crescent Bomb C
~Speed Pod P
~Ground Legs
Back to top Go down
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:20

*the air begins to buzz* >_> <_<

The harbor? On it.

I honestly don't know what would work best for me.

Ground legs? Okay.

What explosion type would you recommend? C?
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:27

It all depends on what you want.

C stuns thems slightly while raising them up.
P knocks them straight up. (>_>)
D knocks 'em to the side.
Standard knocks them to the side and up.
H stuns them while knocking them to the side.

Etc.
Back to top Go down
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:35

I mean, I don't even know what play style I do best with.

I'm a total n00b.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:37

I see. Just experiment with whatever. If you have wifi, I'd be happy to help you figure out some setups some time.
Back to top Go down
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:42

Yeah, I'll just finish this challenge, put my FC in my profile, and add you.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:44

All right.
Back to top Go down
Alnylthyria

Alnylthyria

I suck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I suck.   I suck. I_icon_minitime26/9/2011, 06:52